Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Getting started

Hi and welcome! 

My husband and I are going to be working in Alaska this coming summer.  I have done this for the previous two summers and loved it.  Actually, I fell in love with Alaska the first summer (2010) but wasn't overly happy with the job.  Luckily, I made a good friend in a different department, she put in a good word for me and I got a great job for the summer of 2011!  I sell tours at one of the lodges up there.  It really is very gratifying, especially when a guest comes looking for you to tell you how great a time they had on a tour you recommended! 

Anyway, I am getting off the track.  For now lets just talk about getting ready.  The first two summers (since I went alone) I flew.  This year we are driving a motorhome.  It's our first motorhome (we did have a pull behind trailer for a brief time, so aren't complete RV virgins :0)  but this is still going to be interesting ).  Especially interesting since our cat, Harley, is coming with us!    We got the RV mainly for this purpose, but also so we didn't have to live in employee housing and we could prepare our own meals.  We are vegetarians, so the employee dining facility was somewhat limited. 

So far I am loving it because I won't have to pack a single suitcase!  As you may know, flying is not the cheapest thing these days and being limited to what to pack, how much to pack, etc. can be daunting.  My first year I took two cases and mailed three boxes to myself!  I ended up mailing back those three boxes, which I repacked and kept what I needed out of them, sending back all the extras - iron, extra shoes, some warm weather clothes, etc.  On top of that I also sent twelve more boxes total full of soveniers, gifts and books.  Also, to my husbands dismay, rocks and roots.  I try to find unusual rocks and roots on every hike I take and I managed to find quite a few.

Because we are driving, I will have plenty of room for all my junk, extra clothes ( so I'm not wearing the same thing constantly and also doing alot of laundry ), some craft supplies and such.  I plan on being busy day and night, when I'm not working our touring! 

We don't leave for 2 months, but have alot of planning to do, supplies to stock up on, and of course preping the RV.  So I hope you will follow us on this adventure and enjoy it with us!

Peace,    

Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment